Sunday, January 25, 2009

Progress Report/Goals

I am steadily making progress in getting in my workouts. The keys are better planning, working out early, working out at lunch, working out at work or working out on my way home.

Cycling

I stopped at the bike shop last week and checked out a bike trainer. They were running a cycling class so I plan to go back when they are not busy and have them show me how to set the trainer up before i buy it. It costs $269, but looks super quick and easy. I imagine using it at home, at work or even taking it to girl's softball in the spring and riding while the game is on.

My biggest triathlon weakness remains my fear of the bike and lack of hours on the road. If I can get some good hours in this winter, maybe I'll be in a little better shape to take on some road riding. So far it has been too cold this winter to do much riding at work.

Strength-Training

I am doing better at strength training with 6 workouts this month. With the new equipment at the gym, there is no reason I can't get 2-3 solid workouts in each week. Next time I go in I will start a log so I am lifting on a progressive schedule. I can supplement my gym strength training with dumbbell work at work.

Running

I need to keep at this because this seems the quickest to go and the hardest to build back up. I will try to do three runs a week and try to slowly increase the miles and pace. Again the cold icy weather has stopped any outdoor running. I have had good luck getting on the tread mills across the street, and although they have a thirty minute time limit, at the right time, with no people waiting I may be able to run longer.

Swimming

Through the winter I will probably use swimming as a secondary exercise if time at the gym permits. Swim 500-1000 yards post run or strength train. Work on technique. In the spring, I plan to buy a wet suit and join the triathlon group on weekly open-water swims.

Volume

I would like to steadily increase my volume each month with a goal of hitting 1500 for one month. That's 50 minutes a day.

Races

Instead of laying out everything I want to do, I will just list my next target race.

Here it is:

The Greater Hartford Quarter Marathon on April 4 at the West Hartford reservoir. The goal will be to complete, not compete.

Rest and Recovery

Make certain I get plenty.