Sunday, February 20, 2011

Jocelynn's Run Indoor Tri

 

Did my first indoor triathlon. It was held at the New York Sports Club in West Hartford. I was the only one in my time slot. 8:10 on Sunday morning. I swam for 15 minutes. The pool seemed short of 25 yards, more like 20. They blew a horn with two minutes to go, and then at the end of 15 minutes. I was credited with 30 laps. I had thought I was on 34 when the horn went off, but maybe I miscounted. I swam easy, taking a long pushoff at each end. I was happy with my swimming for not having swum much this winter.

They give you 10 minutes to go upstairs to where they had the bikes reserved. They said people had been having toruble making the bike the day before, so I wore my tri suit instead of a bathing suit, so all I had to do was dry off, put my socks and sneakers on, and shirt and walk up to the bikes.

The bike was 30 minutes. I cranked the tension up just enough so i didn't feel like my legs were spinning wildly. I finished with 7.25 miles. I had wanted to average 15 mph, but my most comfortable fast pace was just below it. I learned later that I might have gone farther if I hadn't cranked the tension up. My highest heart rate during the bike was 134.

Five minute break before the run, allowed me to refill my water bottle and do a few stretches. My goal for the run was to got 3.2 miles in 30 minutes for a sub 30:00 minute 5K. Not having run much, I did not want to overtax myself. I set the initial pace at 6.0 or a 10:00 minute mile, then after a mile, up the speed to 6.3 or a 9:30 mile. After two miles my heart rate was 160. The last mile was hard -- my lack of run training showing -- but I hit my mark, coming in at 3.25. My ending heart rate was 170.

I haven't seen the final results yet, but I was happy with my performance and enjoyed the triathlon. I would definately do it again. I think it is a good way to measure fitness. I wish Cornerstone had more bikes. They only have one. If I knew I had a bike waiting for me, it would be fun to swim and then go right to the bike. As it is when I do practice tris, I have to bike, run (if one of the the three treadmills is open, and then swim after.

It was nice to do an event again. This was my first "race" since the end of October. My next will likely be a 5K toward theend of march. I need to run more, but with all the snow on the side of the roads, it is too dangerous to run outside.

Hopefully, the result of the indoor tri will be posted sometime. I haven't seen anything yet.