Saturday, September 05, 2009

Quassy Open Water Swim Festival

I've been feeling really beatdown since my 5 plus mile run on Wednesday. I took two rest days. Today I felt a little light-headed, particuarly when I stand up too quickly. I don't know if I have been eating or drinking enough.

I thought about not going to the swim event today. I had already decided not to do the mile and a half swim and instead just do the haldf mile, but I rallied and went. I wish I didn't go through this anxiety wishywashyness before nearly every event I enter.

It was about forty minutes away at a sailing place on a beautiful quarry type lake. The swim was out around a buoy and back. I swan very easy at first. The water was awesome -- very clean and refreshing. The wetsuit is very bouyant, but my arms were real tired again. I took my scratchy goggles by mistake so I had some sighting issues, but the course was short enough that it wasn't a real problem. I swam much better on the way in.

I came in 38 out of 70 in 18:15. Terry Laughlin, the Total Immersion guy came in 14th.

There were maybe ten in wet suits. I was in the wet suit division.

Anyway when they announced the winners, low and behold I had come in second in the wet suit division. They called my name and I got a medal. My very first place finish.

They held three races -- a three mile and then a mile and a half, and then the half mile. They were staggered so people could and 27 did swim all three, and then they totaled these people's times for the 5 mile championship.

Next year, I am going to definately put this on my calendar and try to do the mile and a half as well.

Results