Saturday, June 26, 2010

Madison Mile Swim

Swam the Madison Mile. It was a beautiful warm day, the water was clear and cool. I did feel a little silly in the wetsuit as most of the swimmers were without them.

I went in the last wave. My form is not as good when I am swimming a long way than when I am trying to swim fast, but I can’t obviously swim fast over a mile. I did my wandering all over the place routine, until I finally decided to sight every other stroke, which helped a lot.

It seemed like a long way. I did a little bit of breaststroke. My back was a little tight. I got a leg cramp, but a leg cramp with a wetsuit is no big deal. My legs just float behind me. It wasn’t until the last hundred yards that I really start my swimming.

I buzzed by a couple swimmers at the end, and then ran up onto the beach in 45:12.

My guess is it was a little longer than a mile, but not longer than when I swam 2 years ago when people said it might have been up to a mile and a half.

I need to put some SuperGlide on my neck as it is chafed from the suit.

All in all I was glad as always that I swam.

I do need to spend more time swimming. An open water swim a week would be great. There are opportunities, the question is getting the free time.

Here are the results. They didn't combine them. If they did i think i would have been 104 out of 121. In the wet suit I was 13 out of 17.


Wet Suit Results.