Sunday, August 17, 2008

Canton Lobster Loop 5K

I ran in the Canton Lobster Loop 5K this morning. My goals were three-fold, beat my PR for the year of 29:27, beat my PR of 28:47, break 28:00 minutes. To do all three I would have to run a 9:00 pace.

In practice I have been able to hold this pace for 2 and a half miles, but with speed slipping steadily.

In the end today I failed all three coming in at 29:32. A 9:32 pace.

Here's how it went. It was much hotter than I anticipated at 8:30 in the morning Yahoo weather says 78 degrees with 45% humidity. It felt hotter in the sun. There were 400-500 people in the race.

I had read the first and third miles were fast with some hills on the 2nd mile. The opening gun caught me by surprise as there was no kind of countdown.

As always I felt short of breath at the start, and was bothered somewhat by a loose shoelace, as I had tied my car key to it and the double knot came out. The key was secure, but part of the lace kept whacking the ground.

I reached the first mile mark in 8:34. My first thought was great -- I'm well ahead of pace, but then I thought, maybe that's why I am so tired.

The second mile with its moderate climbs wore me even more as I noticed more and more people passing me. I hit the two mile mark in 18:30, and felt like I had little left. Approaching the top of the hill, I slowed briefly to walk to get water at the water station, but they just had a kid there pouring water from a Gatorade cooler and there was no way he was keeping up with the demand. The last mile I stopped and walked a couple times for thirty paces, but couldn't get any speed going when I started running. I had no finishing kick other than the last twenty-five yards.

My watch showed 29:24, but the official time had me eight seconds later, which is about how long it took me to set the watch after the gun went off.

They handed me a warm bottle of water at the finish, and I immediately sought the shade of a tree. I was very, very sweaty. I'm glad I wore a true running shirt today -- normally I wear cotton, but I decided I'm a racer now I can wear a running shirt.

After I drank the water I walked back to my car in the parking lot of a shopping center. I went into a bagel shop and felt very light-headed while standing in line. I was behind a guy talking forever to order a dozen bagels, and when I walked in all four tables were open and by the time he finished ordering there were families sitting in all of them. I drank half a Powerade just waiting there. I finally bought a bagel and another Powerade and then went out to the car, got in and turned the AC on.

I'm a little disappointed in my time. I could have pressed it more -- maybe, but I am not out to kill myself. There will be other races. Here are my excuses:

Too hot and humid compared to my training in the evenings.

Didn't eat anything for breakfast and had only a diet coke.

Still tired from triathlon or too rusty from not running since Tuesday triathlon.

Went out way too fast in first mile.

But overall I'm not that upset.

I ran instead of staying in bed. I learned some pacing lessons. I still have a goal to beat this year. Maybe in September or October when it is cooler.

Next Saturday I have a chance to do a 10K. If I do it, I will do it as a 5/1 run walk as a practice long run.

29:32 (9:31 pace)

311 out of 432.

Canton Lobster Loop Results