Wednesday, June 20, 2007

29.44



Race Results

29.44 (9:32 Pace) PR

81st out of 115

***

I decided to go, (obviously). It was a beautiful night. The reservoir is a gorgeous run, (lots of evening sun glistening off the water) but very hilly, and it just seems to go forever. I started off strong, and was getting tired toward the end. I didn't look at my watch, but felt I was running faster than I had in the past. Toward the end there is sort of a false finish where you think you are at the end, but you are really a quarter mile away. I started a finishing kick, but then was discouraged that it wasn't the finish, and slowed. When I got toward the finish I still thought I was well ahead of past times so didn't kick too hard. Then at maybe 50 yards I saw the clock ahead, and knew I had to kick a little to beat my best time, which I did by three seconds. Later I wished I'd pushed it a little harder at the end top beat my time by more, but at least I beat it on a very hilly course.

My heart rate at the end was also a record -- 180, but it quickly dropped after I stopped. I purposely didn't look at it during the race.

My legs felt fine.