Thursday, August 23, 2007

Lake Terramugus Race Report 8-23-2007

I raced. I did not die. I did not puke (But I almost puked twice). I finished.


***

I had high hopes going into the final Lake T triathlon. I was going to beat 1:30:00, taking over 10 minutes off my first race. I was going to have a great swim time and I was going to run the entire run leg.

I should have known better. Quit when you are ahead.

But then you don't learn what you are made of.

I got there early so I could get a transition spot that would be directly in line between the swim exit and the bike start. My plan was to not put on sock -- I had done a two mile trial run with only one minor blister. I even brought a pail so I could put my foot on it to more easily put on my sneakers.

When I got in line to register, the guy in front of me was number 12. I looked at the guy behind me and said "sorry" then got out of line to go take a pee.

When I came back I was number #15.

Before the swim, the race director gave his usual speech about how if you have a mountain bike or this is your first race, you might consider just doing one bike loop. This time he added due to the darkness, it you think it will take you more than an hour and a half, you might want to do just one loop. Talking to me?

The swim went by in a hurry, but it wasn't really pleasant. I didn't feel like I was swimming very well. I had a couple people around me and I was trying to keep up with them, and consequently swimming too fast (moving my arms too fast) and not really getting into a rhythm. There was a couple times when I felt I was getting squeezed by swimmers on both sides, but I just muscled ahead. I'm bigger and stronger so get out of my way. 400 yards is too short for a rhythm anyway. I came out of the water, dizzy and listing to the right. I couldn't really run, and when I got to my bike, I had to stop a moment and get my breath and take a quick long swig of my Heet drink. I got the sneaks on okay, but had a little trouble getting my shirt on. I looped the helmet over my head, grabbed the bike and started walking very fast to the timing mat. I went over it in 8:09, which was 47 seconds better than my last time. Good so far.

As soon as I got on the bike, I knew something was wrong. The seat was too high. I had raised it hoping to increase my speed when I was riding at work, and thought I had. I had also locked it tight so I wouldn't have the problems I had had with the seat coming down. Bad moves. And in the back of my mind I was thinking all day, maybe I should raise the seat, maybe it is just a touch too high.

While the seat didn't feel right, the more imminent problem was I was starting to dry heave. They say only losers try to win the swim and that pretty much describes me. What you gain in a fast swim, you more than lose in the bike and run. While I was 52 coming out of the water, as always I was getting passed by everyone. You go up a quick hill and then there is a downhill, but instead of powering it in high gear, I was coasting, my head turned to the right, hoping I wouldn't puke on myself.

Fortunately the heaving passed without emesis. I was pedaling hard, but not really seeming to get too much power. I found myself almost standing as I could only balance on the front edge of the seat. I made it up the first set of hills. And made it all around the course once. I was glad that I was again not lapped by the leaders, but on the second lap, I started having real problems. The seat was more and more uncomfortable. My arms were aching as I was having to lean heavily on the handlebars, and then going up the hills I geared down to first, but then when I tried to put it back in 2nd, the chair came loose, so i had to put it back in first, and try again, but it would never catch. I'd put it in 1st and pedal several times until it would catch back in first, but then when I'd try to go to second again, it wouldn't go. It took me about three minutes to get it into second, during which I was going about 2-3 mph.

I made it back around the course, but started getting passed by some older bikers and some other fat tire bikes, and found myself off-balance and again unable to generate much power.

I crossed the bike line at 59:52 for a bike time of 51:43, 3:18 more than my best time of 48:25.

I dumped my bike, grabbed a midget bottle of Poland Spring and teetered off on the run course. I wanted to run it all, but it wasn't happening. I felt nauseous and my lower back on both sides was very stiff. I thought it I walked a little, it might improve, but every time I started to run, I felt it tighten again. The nausea came back and I thought I might puke.

It was just me and a few stragglers, and then my friend Kathy, the 60 plus year old Iron Lady passed me. We chatted for a little bit and then she ran on, while I walked run. Then it was just me and another woman who said it was her first time. When she started running again, I started and passed her, and while we conversed pleasantly, I stayed ahead of her, and eventually pulled away into the darkness. I will not be last.

I ran the last mile pretty well -- the back pain was gone, as well as the nausea.

I heard my class cheering for me as I crossed the line at 1:36:45 for a run time of 36:45 -- my worst run time yet and almost seven minutes above what I can run a 5K in.

I was 4:42 seconds off my last time.

I staggered over to where my class members stood. They offered me a beer, but I had to decline. I guzzled the last of my Heet drink, and then went out into the Lake and floated looking up at the moon.

I felt very disgusted with myself.

Sure I had plenty of excuses. I always do. The seat was too high, the chain came off. I was tired. My back hurt. Poor me.

But still the main point is I finished -- even though it was in darkness.

I didn't quit.

***

Results

***

It wasn't until later that I figured out why my seat was so high. When I was trying out different positions while riding at work, I was wearing my super-thick soled Army Boots. D'oh!