Sunday, September 28, 2008

Thoughts on Running, Tris, Training, Etc

I have been trying to come to grips with my failure to really increase my speed and I have concluded it is a training issue. I have been running 3 miles at the same speed most every time I run. While I did two speed workouts this year, I hardly had a structured schedule. My goals for this year were too diffuse -- go long, go fast, do tris, swims, runs, etc.

On the other hand, a part of me thinks I just don't have the heart to really push in a race. I back off when I feel too much stress, other than for a slight kick at the end. I should be running a much faster 5K based on the speed I can show in shorter runs. It is about conditioning and heart.

I have two possible races coming up. On October 2 there is a 5K that is very flat -- on the runway of an old airport. I can use that as a test of letting myself go. I have only one more run between then and now unless I run on consecutive days. I might be able to set a PR if two things are true -- my last two races were due to humidity and poor pacing in one and just running a difficult very hilly 5K in the other.

The next race is October 11 -- the Hartford Marathon races. I really want to do the 1/2 marathon, but am resigned to doing it more as a complete the distance by walking and running at a leisurely pace. I suppose it will depend on how I do on October 2.

On the other hand, running the same 5K where I set my PR last year would be a true test of any progress. I could focus strictly on this race, training for it, including a speed workout or two in advance.

See, my dilemna, no clear plan.

I do know this -- next year I want to do more triathlons. I want to race more.