Saturday, July 12, 2008

Run/Walk 5K Experiment

Feeling tired tonight, dragged myself to the resovour, started running not even sure what I wanted to accomplish. I ran the first mile in 9:45, which wasn't fast enough for a record, but was too fast for a long slow run, so I decided to throw in two one minute walks as a practice for run/walk in longer distances.

Here the result:

Mile one run: 9:45
Mile two (included 1 minute walk uphill 12:00 into run): 9:59
Mile 3.1 (included 1 minute walk to start mile: 9:45 (8:51)

Total 29:29 (which is one second slower than my 5K race time).

The times were virtually identical to my race times. As in the race I sprinted at the end.

Interesting. I could walk two minutes in training and only lose a second off my race time.

***

My next experiment will be to do an 10K at the resovouir with one minute walks every ten minutes.