Wednesday, July 16, 2008

5k Run 2 Minutes/Walk 40 seconds

Experimented again today with the run walk. My intention was to try a 10K, but I went out at 4:00 PM. It was 88 degrees with 33% humidity. My plan was to run 2 minutes and walk 40 seconds. I was again shocked that my first mile came in at the same 9:45 as past race efforts. My second mile was slower in 10:21. The last 1.1 was in 10:51. Total time was 31:05.

My legs felt fine, but cardiovascularly I was pooped. I was breathing heavy and even had to walk a little on the homestretch within 100 yards of the finish. I guess I was doing intervals more than a long slow run. I'd run hard for two minutes (I wasn't sprinting by any means, just running at a faster than normal pace), and then pant and try to get my breath for 40 seconds, and then run hard again.

My total pace was 10:02.

I find it remarkable that walking 40 seconds every two minutes can still give me such a fast time on a supposed training run.

I need to try this again either early in the morning or later in the evening, running a slower pace. Maybe try to do a 10:30 pace and see how i feel doing a 10K.