Monday, June 23, 2008

2008 Goals Reappraised

Well, it is time for me to take stock of my goals.

***

Here's what I set out to do in February:

Goal #1. Complete an Olympic Triathlon

Goal # 2 A) Run a 10K B) Run a 10K under 60 minutes

Goal # 3 Run a 5K under 28:00 minutes

Goal # 4 Beat Last year's Sprint Triathlon times at Lake Terramugus and run the entire run course.

Goal #5 Do a Mile Swim

Goal # 6 Complete the Hartford Half Marathon in October.

***

Goal #1 I am starting to think the Olympic Triathlon may be out of my reach this year. I just haven't been getting on the bike enough. Unless I do some major riding in the next couple weeks. I may just have to wait a year. All the Olympic Tris have major hard bikes. There is a flat six lap race in Bridgeport, but then I would have to tangle with the heavy-duty bikers every time they buzzed by me. I suppose I could enter and finish, but I really don't want to be the last straggler in a 4:00 plus race. I'd rather wait a year and finish I bit further ahead.

Goal 2B: Breaking an hour may be tough. I will have to shave 6 plus minutes off. Not likely.

Goal 3: Breaking 28 minutes. I might be able to do it, but will have to focus hard on this. It basically means running a 9:00 pace.

Goal 4: This is on hold due to construction on the course. It could be modified to include Niantic of Lake Compounce Sprint Ts.

Goal 6: I will need to start training.

***

So what should I do?

Should I concentrate on Sprint Tris or should I keep working on 1 mile swims and 10K runs and just doing some serious bike time in prepartation for next year?

Should I start trying to train for the October 1/2 marathon?

Should I focus on running faster, while gradually just getting used to riding a road bike, avoiding triathlons for the most part?

***

Possible Events in the Next Week

Bike -- Next Saturday -- a 25 Mile Fun ride -- Bike Across Connecticut

Running -- This coming Thursday night -- Extreme Scramble #1 -- this is sort of an obstacle course 5K, which may be fun and provide a good training run.

***

Swimming

Monday July 14 One Mile Swim Misquamicut, RI -- doubtful I can make this one

September 20 - The Pattaconk Plunge 1-Mile open water swim(www.connmasters.org

10Ks

July 27 10K Lake Compounce (doubtful I can do this date)

August 23 Holcomb Farm 10K

September 6 Suffield 10K

Half Marathon

Hartford Marathon October 11

Possible Sprint Triathlons

Pat Griskus July 9

Niantic Sprint Triathlon August 3

Madison Sprint Triathlon September 6

Lake Compounce Sprint Triathlon September 21

Possible, but Unlikely Olympic

Litchfield hills Olympic Triathlon on July 20

Team Mossman Olympic in Bridgeport, August 10

***

What makes the most sense for me? Have fun. Workout regularly.

Set Training Goals:

1. Run 9:00 mile pace, gradually increasing to 3 miles
2. Progressively Increase biweekly longrun/walk to 14 miles
3. Ride 25 miles; ride 12 miles at 15 mph
4. Climb Buena Vista Hill without having to get off bike
5. Swim a mile in 36 minutes with frequent sighting


Cycling

Learn to Ride Better.

Swimming

Swim on rest days/cross training Days, work on sighting. Do some open water swims.

Running

Do one speed workout a week and one long run every other week.

Race Goals

Do at least 1 more 10K
Do 1/2 marathon as a run/walk
Do one more open water swim
Try to break 5K PR
Do at least one full Sprint triathlon later in season.
Do Lake T sprints if they are ever scheduled.