Wednesday, April 23, 2008

60 Minute (5 mile plus) Run

For my scheduled five mile run today, instead of 20 laps around the track, I went to the reservoir and ran the 5k course, finishing in 35:38 with an average heart rate of 144, and then turned around and ran back until I hit 60 minutes on the watch. I ended with an average heart rate of 146 and an ending heart rate of 149. I'm guessing I ran 5.2 miles. I could have run further, but I don't want to overtax my joints. I need to stay on the program.

I do have a choice coming up here. On Saturday, there is a 5K at the reservoir in the morning. I am supposed to run 3 miles on Friday very easy. I haven't done any speed work yet. I could skip Friday's run and then run the 5k on Saturday, and then skip my Sunday run. I am worried my time will stink, but maybe not. My heart rates have been low, even though my times have been slow. Add some speed, up the heart rate and maybe I'll make it to the finish line on time. We'll see how I feel. The run today was harder than the track running because of the hills and the pavement.