Wednesday, April 30, 2008

10K Run

Today was long run day. I ran the reservoir 5K course forward and back. As I was running up the first big hill after a mile and a quarter or so, it occurred to me while I have been following the Runner's World 10k plan pretty straight, except for missing an easy run earlier this week, I haven't been doing the cross training that it also includes so maybe my cardiac is a little weaker than it should be. I kept on, finishing the first 5k in a surprisingly fast 33:21. I was trying to run easy. The next 5K however was in 36:58. I ran very slow at first because running the course backwards involves a big steep hill and a steady incline for the first mile. My average heart rate for the last 5K was 149. My watch is quirky so I couldn't get the first 5K HR average. I think it was around 147.

Total time 1:10:37.

My two previous times at this distance were last October when I ran it in 1:12:40 and 1:14:58.

There was some pollen out today so I had to spit up phlegm and blow my nose while running a couple times. I was a little dry from the Zyrtec, but still ran comfortably without water. I think I have a lot of unlocked speed that i may start to tap into in the future.