Sunday, February 17, 2008

Racing Season/Goals

The race calendars are coming out and I have started to map my possible races/goals for the year.

Goal #1. Complete an Olympic Triathlon

There are 5 Olympic triathlons in Connecticut this year on the following dates: June 14, 18, 21, July 20 and August 10.

My target race is July 20 -- Litchfield Hills

The problem with this race is the bike is tough: "The BIKE is diverse, and has gradual climbs, steep climbs, fifty mph downhills and demands your attention."

My fall back race is on August 10 - Mossman Triathlon in Bridgeport.

The good news is the bike is flat -- the bad news it is 5 laps so I will be riding with the pros.

Goal # 2 A) Run a 10K B) Run a 10K under 60 minutes

I have identified 4 10Ks on March 22, June 1, August 23 and September 6. There is also a 1/4 Marathon on April 5. Well spaced.

Goal # 3 Run a 5K under 28:00 minutes

I have identified races on May 10 and June 28, both of which I did last year. I will also try to run a couple others as they fit in with training

Goal # 4 Beat Last year's Sprint Triathlon times at Lake Terramugus and run the entire run course.

I haven't seen the schedule for this year yet, but I should be able to do 2-4 races depending on how it fits with my training and other races.

Goal #5 Do a Mile Swim

There is a mile swim on June 30.

Goal # 6 Complete the Hartford Half Marathon in October.

A run/walk would be acceptable.

***

My Plan:

Now till April 5: Focus on Running with goals of 10K and 1/4 marathon finishes without regard for time. This will mean lots of easy longer runs than I have been doing. Also try to bring weight down to 215. Good nutrition. Continue to swim and to do easy bikes.

After April 5 : If I succeed, buy road bike and switch concentration to biking, working on long rides of 24 miles or more. Run less, but incorporate some speed work.

After Olympic Tri: Switch focus back to running long, still do some speed work.

This is all injury dependent etc.