Wednesday, December 12, 2007

5 K Run

Finally -- a run. The weather, my work schedule and poor planning have kept me from running, so today having part of the day off, I hit the resovouir and ran an easy 5K. I came in at 34:12 with a heart rate of 156. It was cold and wet and I ran in sweatpants and hoodie. I admit to feeling a little deconditioned.

Despite the fact I have been exercising regularly I see three big flaws in my training.

1. Aside from running, I am really not pushing myself too much cardiovascularly. I ride so slow and swim so easy, i am really not getting my heart rate up too high, which may be good, but may be bad. To fix this I should swim more fast intervals and try to do at least three runs a week.

2. I wonder about my mental toughness. I run 5K easy, but I seem to find excuses in the long run, and I get so bored. When I ride at work, I intend to do more than I do, but after 6-8 miles, I just want to stop. I think more scenic rides will help my biking and maybe doing runs where I can't stop after 5K and be at my car.

3. I can't forget about the gym. I need to lift more. Maybe I need to start doing the dumbells at home or work to get the lifting in.

Overall I think better preplanning will help get the quality workouts in.