Monday, December 31, 2007

2007 Recap

Highly successful year. I became a triathlete and a runner. I improved my health and had a lot of fun. I enjoyed the satisfaction of setting a goal and achieveing it.

Highlights

6 Triathlons and in the last one managed to finish the run without walking.

4 5Ks, including improving my time in each race.

Rode a bike again!

Hours and Mileage

I have discovered a nifty site that allows you to track your workouts. While it is primarily a running site, it calculates cycling, swimming and strength training.
Running Ahead

Running - 261 miles, 47 Hours
Cycling - 879 miles, 79.5 Hours
Swimming - 40.5 miles, 25.5 Hours
Strength Training - 29 times, est 20 Hours

Total - 1081 miles, 152 Hours

(The hours represent actual running time and don't count warmup, cool down, stretching and transport to and from.)

***

Assessment

Running- I am a slow runner with much room for steady improvement in speed, endurance and frequency despite my age. I can run 3 times a week without injury. I can run a slow 6-7 miles for a long run. I can run a 5K at a 9:19 pace. I enjoy running, but need to find routes to run that have a defined finish point. The track works. The resovoiur is a great place to run a 5K or a 10K, but not so great for in between distances. Perhaps if I ride my bike there one day and mark and measure it into 4, 5 mile intervals, I can increase my run distances there.

Cycling - I am a poor rider with a slow bike. I do have the advantage of being able to ride at work. I have limited endurance and have attempted very few long rides.

Swimming - I swim well and can go for great distances without much effort. I could use some improvement in speed, which will probably come from better kicking. I could also use to learn how to breathe bilaterally.

Triathlete- Overall I give myself credit for determiniation, but question my heart to really push myself, which may be a good thing, keeping me from overexertion and injury.

Strength Training - I am strong, but could clearly benefit from more regular and focused training. I particularly could benefit from more core work.

Stretching -- I am a stiff old man.

Nutrition - I maintain my weight, but could clearly eat better and lose a few pounds.