Saturday, November 10, 2007

Running Programs and Ideas

My knees are a little sore today, not the joints, but the bones in an early bruised way. I did almost 10 miles in three days so a little rest is called for. I will probably run again on Tuesday.

I bought two more running books the other day. Running Until You're 100 and Run Less, Run Faster with the F.I.R.S.T. Training Program.



Both advocate running only three days a week, mixing in cross-training. I'm all for that. The Galloway book advocates walking interspersed with the running, even it seems in shorter distance running. The F.I.R.S.T. book advocates running even your long runs at a much faster pace than is traditional.

I buy the 3 days a week to promote rest and recovery, but I'm in between on the walking versus running much faster.

Both books do seem to advocate a long run, a tempo run and a speed training run each week. The F.I.R.S.T. book says you need to be running 16 miles a week already to begin their program. The Galloway, anyone can do.

I think I will try for the following:

1 long run at a slow pace. Increase gradually.

1 5K (3-4 mile) run at a tempo pace (either a run at one of the reservoirs or a 5K at the track)

1 track workout with some speed elements or a treadmill run with some fast miles.

***

As far as races, due to my schedule and not wanting to travel any distance to any race, the earliest race would be a February 4 miler in Hartford, then a Hartford 5K in March, and then a 10K in April. In June there is a Half Marathon/10K in Simsbury.
Next October is the Hartford Half Marathon.

As far as triathlons, I am aiming for an Olympic in August.

For the most part the race calendars for next year aren't out yet. I am basing this all on this year's. So the immediate goals are a 10K by April and increased speed in 5Ks with the long run creeping up to 13.2 miles by June if possible with October as a secondary target.