Wednesday, November 21, 2007

3 Mile Run - Lactate Threshold Test

Ran 3 plus miles on the treadmill at 6.4, which I believe is a 9.28 pace. I was trying to do something called a Lactate Threshold Rate test, which triathlete coaches say is better than maximum heart rate to determine your training zones. The typical maximum heart rate equation is 220 minus your age, which would put my maximum heart rate at 171. I have been up to 184. Lactate threshold means the level of intensity when your body starts to accumulate lactate.

The test consisted of running for thirty minutes at what you believe is the maximum pace you can sustain. After 10 minutes, you hit your heart rate monitor/stopwatch on and then run for another twenty minutes. Your average heart rate for the last 20 minutes is your lactate threshold rate.

The problem I had was there was radio interference from the treadmill so I couldn't get accurate readings. My heart rate was all over the place. My average came out to be 159, which may be on target, but I can't be certain. I think that is a little low.

The number is plugged into a chart, which describes what your target heart rates would then be for the various exertion zones. If 159 is my lactate threshold, then I should do my eay endurance runs at a heart rate of no more than 144.

I will need to do this test again outdoors on the track where I can get a more accurate reading.

Here are some links:

Lactate Threshold Basic Concepts

Lactate Threshold Heart-Rate Zone Testing Protocol