Thursday, October 18, 2007

5K/5K

Went to the resovouir with the intention of doing a long slow run. It was a little chilly so I started off with my hoodie, but soon realized it was very humid. I was also carrying a small water bottle that I sipped off, and then set it down at about the two mile mark. I finished the first 5k in 34:40 with a heart rate of 152. I was extremely soaked and my back felt stiff. I stopped running, walked to my car, took off my hoodie, had a gulp of my HEET drink, and then walked back to the 5k start line and ran it again. This time I finished in 38:00 with a heart rate of 142. I was very tight and somewhat chilled from my damp tee-shirt. I should run with a wicking shirt instead of cotton. When I stopped to pick up my water bottle at the two mile mark, I could barely get back started running. Still I feel pretty good.

I have been thinking that instead of running another 5k this year I need to just work on endurance, long slow runs and long slow bikes. Running a hard 5K race wipes me out for a few days. Since my goal is long distance triathlons, I need to just focus on endurance and not speed.

***

I also finally posted my 5K Race report from the other day. See Below :

Huck Finn 5K