Monday, September 24, 2007

Post Race-Thoughts

Still waiting for the official results. They have posted preliminary results which just have the final time and don't credit the 2nd wave people with the 5 minutes wait. As currently listed I came in 170 out of 197 with a time of 1:49:12, but subtract 5 minutes and I may move up 10 spaces. They also haven't given the swim bike run breakdowns.

I did average 14 mph on the bike according to my speedometer -- a record for me.

Not once during the race (for the first time) did I think "Why am I doing this? I'll never do this again."

I didn't sleep well last night. I had the same problem I have had after some other races, a feeling of hyperexcitability -- my body probably working overtime on repair.

Since the race I have eaten the following: sausage mcGriddle, double whopper with fries, lamb steak with pasta, one beer, yogurt with peanut M&Ms, chili with barbcued potato chips. I may have another steak tonight.

No workout today as I feel very tired.

***

I have spend part of the morning looking at Olympic races for next year and for future year races - Half-Iron Men -- with the idea of finding races with easy bike courses. The two Ct Olympic races closest to my house and the closest half-iron man all have absolutely killer hills according to past participants. I may need to look out-of-state.

***

As far as future races this year, the only ones I can really see doing are 5Ks.

October 13 - Huck Finn 5K

November 10 - Freedom Run/Walk

November 22 - Manchester Road Race

The Manchester Race has been going on since 1927 and draws wild crowds of over 30,000. It is I think a 4.75 mile race. The problem is if I can work overtime on that day -- Thanksgiving -- I'll jump at that chance due to what works out to be triple pay.

***

My off season workouts will be focused on general conditioning.

1. Swimming - Improve stroke efficiency
2. Biking - Maybe get in some spinning classes, build leg strength, add miles in the saddle, get a road bike
3. Running - Work on endurance
4. Strength Training - Overall strength, plus restore some of the upper body bulk I have lost.

***

Next year goals

Olympic Triathlon
a couple 10ks
half marathon
half-century bike
1 mile open water swim
2.4 mile pool swim

***

And of course stay injury free