Friday, August 24, 2007

Some Post-Race Thoughts

Well, I can look at the race two ways.

1. I sucked and am in terrible shape and was pathetic

2. I had an amazingly strong ride given the problems I encountered that would have made many others walk off the course, I stuck it out and finished.

I choose option #2.

I lay in bed last night and thought I was having a heart attack.

I was nauseous, my chest hurt, my left arm was heavy. I was laying there going -- here I am ignoring it, and I'm dying. How can I be having a heart attack -- I am a triathlete.

But I woke up this morning.

I also have blisters all over my feet from running without socks -- all to take fifteen seconds off my swim/transition time.

Ah, vanity, ego.

Results

***

So anyway, I need to:

1. Get a properly-fitted road bike and learn how to ride it.

2. Improve my conditioning and running.

3. Convince myself that I am not Mark Spitz and that I do not need to have a great swim time.

4. Always wear socks when I run.