Wednesday, August 08, 2007

More Thoughts on Future

I've been thinking about my motivations and goals behind this triathlon quest and it raises a central question:

Do I train to improve my race time? or Do I race to judge my fitness/training progress?

Is the goal my best time or to be in the best shape?


If the time is the goal, then I should prioritize getting a better bike and a wet suit. But if the goal is strictly to get in better shape, then I don't need to do that. Whether I have a hybrid or a tri bike, a wet suit or a simple swimsuit, I can still use racing to validate my training.

It is obviously a little more complicated. The ends are intertwined. It is not just about finishing, but about finishing somewhat respectfully and not finishing as they are sweeping up. If a better bike will motivate me to train harder( and keep me from finishing last), then it is a good investment, but a better bike merely for a better time doesn't make as much sense.

***

I entered triathlon for achievement and for fitness.

The achievement is in completing a race/distance with fitness being the means to complete the achievement.

The race is used as a measure of the fitness.

My goal now is to become a better more fit triathlete and complete an Olympic level triathlon.

In order to achieve that goal, I will need to be able to do the following:

Swim 1 mile
Bike 24 miles on a hilly course
Run 6.2 miles

I can do the first easily. I probably can't do the others in any sort of competitive manner. I could probably do the bike if I was able to get off my bike on the steepest hills and walk, and I would have to walk/run the run.

And of course once I can do them, I must then be able to do them altogether.

I will need to drastically improve my base endurance in both the bike and the run.

As intermediate steps to judge the progress of my training, I will need to do:

1 mile open swim races
10Ks
A Duathlon
Sprint Tris
5 Ks
Trial Bike on Course
Trial Run on Course
Trial Swim on Course

I will also need to buy a new bike. I believe while I can train on the hybrid, I cannot compete unpathetically on one. I believe it will leave me too far behind and too drained.

This year I told myself, I wouldn't let myself buy my first bike until I had run a 5K, so I must not buy a new road bike until I can successfully run a 10K.

I am going to try to lay out a year long training program, following the so called, preparation, base building, etc formula laid out in many triathlon books.

I will have these as possible target races or psuedoraces to gauge my progress.

Fall 2007

Sept 8: Suffield 10K *May not be ready to run but could serve as a benchmark. If I don't find a 10K this fall, I can time myself on the Litchfield Run Course sometime this fall.

Sept 22: Pattaconk Plunge 1 Mile Swim

Oct 13: Hartford 1/2 Marathon Walk/Run or Run/Walk

Nov 22: Manchester Road Race 4.75 Mile

Some Possible Fall 5 Ks

Sept 29: Farmington/South Park 5K

Nov 10: Freedom Run/Walk 5K

Swim and Bike and Run the Litchfield Olympic courses

***

2008

April: Bradley Road Race either 5k to mark my 1 year of racing or 10K

May: Shamrock Duathon

May: Madison Mile Swim

June: Lake Waramug Sprint Tri

July: Lake T Sprints

August: Niantic Sprint Tri

August: Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon - goal race

I'm sure there will be a few more 10Ks, but the 2008 race schedules aren't available yet.

Let's get it started.