Tuesday, August 28, 2007

9 Mile Bike/ 3 Mile Bike

I rode 9.17 miles or 14 loops in 41:45 for a 13.3 mph reading. I was trying to ride at a slightly hard, steady rate, shooting for 12 miles before I had to cut the ride short due to a call.

Did the last three miles later. I rode a couple easy laps, then did a hard time trial lap. Time 2:46. MPH - 15.7 I need to start timing myself at various distances to guage speed. Say, 1 lap, 3 laps, 3 miles, 5 miles, 10 miles. I also want to start doing some 20 mile rides.

***

I typed in hybrid bike and triathlon into a search engine and was reading various commentaries about using hybrids in triathlons and they all basically say, if you just want to finish, a hybrid is okay, but if you are interested in speed, you need a road bike. The sounds pretty innocuous if you haven't raced in a triathlon, but once you have, you want to scream -- of course you are interested in finishing, but it is after all a race. They ought to write, its okay to wear a twenty pound chest vest if you just want to finish a running race, but if you are interested in speed, then don't wear one.

I found these comments from blogs:

"I immediately passed some dude who runs OK, but is riding a upright hybrid with flat bars. Whooosh, later dude."
- a biker commenting on a recent duathlon

"I was about 10 minutes ahead of Cari (who was slowed mostly by riding my heavy, knobby-tire hybrid bike, but hey, it was better than riding her own mountain bike),"
-first time rider in Woman's sprint triathlon

"The next challenge was buying a road bike. I knew I couldn’t do an Olympic triathlon on my hybrid bike, with its fat tires and heavy frame. For God’s sake, 70-year-olds were passing me in my previous triathlons and biathlons so I needed all the help I could get."
-woman decribing her first olympic triathlon

Whooosh, later dude.