Thursday, July 26, 2007

Prerace Thoughts

I started doing triathlons just for the thrill of going the distance, but I am finding myself under pressure today because on entering the same race for the third time I am going not for distance, but for time. Nothing wrong with that, it just puts some pressure on me. I can increase my swim time, but at the risk of wearing myself out for the rest of the race. I can cut some transition time, but at the risk of maybe not getting enough gatorade refreshment. I can cut some time on the bike, but that may wear me out for the run. I can cut some time on the run, but at the risk of really wearing myself out.

A part of me I just want to have a good time, take it easy and enjoy, maybe even bring my camera so I can have some action shots.

I don't want to be disappointed if I don't make progress.

I think the smartest course is to not worry about the swim, go hard, but not kill myself in the bike, and then gut out the run by refusing to walk, or limiting my walk.

I read somewhere the key to a triathlon is to swim smart, bike hard and run tough. I may have it wrong, but that is what I should do. I probably won't.