Monday, July 02, 2007

Connecticut HEAT/XTERRA/Triathlon Talk

Surfing the internet the other day, I came across a Hartford area triathlon club. this is the one my friend the paramedic who I hadn't seen for awhile and I saw at the 5K said he belonged too.

Connecticut HEAT

It was interesting reading some of the discussions on their forum and the race reports. I was interested in some of the group open water swims they do, but they seem a little beyond my skill level right now.

While on the site I saw notice of a triathlon talk at the local Fleet Feet run store. So after swimming tonight, I stopped in and caught more of it.

The talk was given by an XTERRA professional triathlete -- XTERRA are the the extreme triathlons where they mountain bike and trail run. The guy was pretty funny. He had a pink mohawk that he kept hidden under his baseball cap. He gave some good pointers on training and transitions, and told some funny stories. He said triathletes start hydrating themselves several days before a big race. On a plane trip to Hawaii, you could tell all the triathletes because they were the ones always in the rest room lines.

Here's his web site:

Will Kelsay

On the Connecticut HEAT site I read one guy's race reports about the other local weekly triathlon held at Winding Trails where they ride mountain bikes. he said he fell at least once every time he raced. Not for me.