Thursday, July 05, 2007

5K/Swim/5K

Ran a 5K this morning at the track. It was very humid. (69%) My legs felt weak to start, but I still ran the first mile in 9:45. Then I started getting weak. By mile 2 I was at 20:20, wondering if I was going to make it. The sun started coming out then baking the puddles on the track. I finished 3 miles at 31:20 and then kept going and stopped on the other side of the track at what I estimated was another tenth of a mile and ended at 32:30. I then walked around grabbed my big container of gatorade and whey protein powder and drank that while I walked for almost a half and hour. I tried to take my pulse when I stopped running (I had left my heart rate monitor at work) but my pulse was too thready to measure.

I then went to the gym and did some core lifting, abdominal crunches, twists, lifts, hip flexor and back extensions.

Stopped at the grocery store, bought a pound of broccoli from the reduced vegetables section, went home, steamed some of it and am eating it now along with two pork barbecue sandwiches and a cold diet coke.

Running today made running seem hard and the prospect of ever going 10K or a half marathon a long, long way away. At least I made it the distance I set out to accomplish.

***

Went to the Lake tonight to meet my class. I was a little disapointed that our swim wasn't a true open water swim. It was more of a chance for the instructor to watch us swim within the roped swim area. She told me I had a great stoke and she wasn't going to mess with it. I did her hear her giving some advice to another swimmer about how the most important part of the stroke is at the end by your hips where that last little push gives you the most power. I practiced that a little and it worked well.

Afterwards we ran the 5k course in the light rain. i ran much better than I did this morning. What a difference the weather makes. It was good to run the course again and get a feel for the proper direction.

I will probably take a rest day tomorrow due to all the running today.

***

Sleep: 7.5 Hours
Weight: 221.8

Breakfast: banana, yogurt
Workout; Gatorade whey protein shake, gel
Lunch: Broccoli, pork sandwiches, DC
Snack: Yogurt with nuts
Snack: Banana, protein gatorade shake, grapes
Dinner: Jumbo Buffet takeout - shrimp, sushi, mussels, steamed dumpling, corn, greens
Snack: Strawberries