Sunday, July 15, 2007

5 Mile Run/HR 137

Took my bike wheel to the shop today while at work, which meant I had to figure out how to detach it. The guy at the shop showed me how to fix a flat myself, getting the tire off the wheel, taking out the tube (I had a "pinch" flat), putting in a new tube, and putting the tire back on. Then I later had to figure out how to put the wheel back on the bike, and then my speedometer wouldn't work until I figured out I had put the wheel on backwards. There is a little transmitter on a spoke that had to face the other way, so I took the wheel off again and put it back on the other way, and everything seemed to be in order. I rode in circles for a little bit just to make sure the brakes were working and the tire wasn't falling off.

It's about 90 plus degrees and very humid out, other than that, I would be out riding.

***

After work, I did a 5 mile run at a real easy pace. (I walked 1/2 lap after 4 miles) My first mile was in 10:45, but I slowed with each mile. I ended up finishing in 1:04, which in one sense is pretty pathetic (12.48 pace), but the good part is my heart rate never got above 137. Well, briefly a couple times it touched 140, then I just backed down. This is a substantially lower heart rate than I have ever had on a run. The lowest I could previously find was 144 at 1.5 miles, but mostly I have been at least 150 even on easy runs, and usualy 157 on non-race runs.

It was cool, but humid so I was pretty drenched with sweat. It had been a torturous day, that was greatly cooled by a thunderstorm.

***

Sleep: 6 Hours
Weight: 221.6

Breakfast: Wheat crackers with almond butter
Snack: Berries and grapes
Snack: Chicken Burrito
Lunch: Two junior hamburgers, small fries, small ice cream from Wendy's
Post workout: gatorade, two oatmeal cookies
Dinner: Jerk chicken, oxtails, rice and peas, grapes and berries