Saturday, July 07, 2007

12.5 Mile Bike/5 Mile

I ended up taking a 16 hour shift today and missing my tempo run. It was a matter of running 5 miles with a group or making 16 hours of overtime. I took the cash.

As a replacement workout, I got on my bike at work and rode the industrial park loop for 70 minutes going 12.5 miles at a slow easy pace. My legs were getting very tight and tired by the end.

I really need a session with the bike coach looking at me, my bike and how I ride. I feel like I am driving a cement truck. In one of my triathlon books, I read how some races have a fat tire division for hybrids and mountain bikes. That would be nice. There is also a division for Clydesdales which is men over 200 pounds in some races. What I would really like to see is a 1st year racer fat tire division for 45-49 year old Clydesdales. I might have a shot at placing there.

I just found out the other day that the last 5K I ran, in which I registered as a Clydesdale gave awards to the top three finishers in each division. I barely missed a trophy as I came in fourth among the Clydesdales. Of course there were only 4 Clydesdales in the race, but hey...

***

This evening I did some time trials, seeing how fast I could get around the circle in various gears. I pretty much did every lap in 3:08 or 3:09, which works out to be about 13 mph. I went a little faster when I went in the big front gear, but I couldn't go quite as hard as when I went in the 2nd gear. Either way, it was hard to sustain a sprint around the circle. I am just constantly aware of the wind on my face and chest when I ride. I think I was faster before I raised my handlebars and changed to a butt seat, which makes some sense, but I am much more comfortable.

I may try to replicate these drills after work tomorrow when I can put on sneakers and bike shorts. Its hard riding in boots and work pants.

***

Sleep: 6.5 Hours
Weight: 221.8

Breakfast: Banana, Yogurt with nuts, DC
Snack: Almond butter with crackers, DC
Lunch: Chicken and rice
Snack: grapes
Snack: Steak Burrito, chips
Snack: Yogurt with nuts
Dinner: Chicken and rice
Late Dinner: Barbecue pork, chips, grapes, chicken sticks