Saturday, June 16, 2007

Thoughts

Okay, so its two days since the triathlon, how do I feel about it and where do I go from here?

Well, first off, kudos to me for doing it. I said I would do it, I trained for it, and I did it, and I didn't come in last. However, I was pretty close to last, and probably a little bordering on pathetic.

On one hand, last October when this all started, I couldn't run 1/4 mile and I hadn't been on a bike since I was a kid, so that's pretty amazing.

On the other, I came in last in the bike and I had to walk significant portions of the run course.

I definitely have some serious improvements to make.

The biggest one will be biking. The question is first, why was I so slow.

A. I had only ridden 158 miles in the last 35 years, and all of that in the last two months. I had virtually no experience with hills.
B. I started the bike part of the program way too late. I didn't get on a real bike until Feb 20, and I didn't buy my bike until April 11.
C. I was one of only two riders with a fat tire bike and maybe the only one without clipless pedals. The bike? The pedals? or Both?

I really don't want to enter another race and be so handicapped. Do I ride harder, more often and do hills? Absolutely. Do I get clipless pedals or at least the strap ons? Maybe, probably. Do I get a new bike or investigate racing tires? Possibly. I really don't want to buy another bike right now.

Running

Why did I have to walk portions of the run?

I was exhausted from the bike. I didn't do enough brick training. I was not in the best running shape? Or there was no one else on the course and I couldn't find my way? All of the above.

I do have to say here I was really pissed about my problems finding the right way on the course. I can blame the race and the lack of volunteers or I can blame myself for not knowing the course -- a mistake I must never make again. I robbed myself there. I also think if there were other runners on the course I would have given a harder effort.

Swimming.

No complaints here.

In two weeks I should begin the triathlon training I signed up for. It is aimed toward the August 5 Sprint Triathlon at Niantic and will include another Lake Terramugus Triathlon. I say Go for it. Do everything I can short of buying a new bike. After that Triathlon, I can make the decision on my triathlon future.

There is a 5K this Wednesday at the Reservoir, which I may enter just to give me a chance to get in a good run.

I do have some longer term running goals such as doing a 10K this year and maybe walk/running a half marathon in October.

Today I hope to do some light workout, to get myself back in gear.

I'm a little stiff, but no knee pain.