Friday, June 22, 2007

Swim Lesson

Stopped at the pool for a short swim on the way home from work. When I walked in I saw a guy I know who is a top swimmer who I had been hoping to hook up with one morning, except it is hard for me to get there early in the morning. He had two students coming in, so he said I should swim with them and he'd take a look at my stroke.

He had some good help for me. First off, he said my stroke was great. But he said I wasn't kicking much, although I had an excellent kick when I did it. He thinks I should concentrate on kicking -- that will help bring my hips up as well. I got a good kick going and definately felt faster. Not a big splashy kick, but a legs extended, feet extended straight kick. It was a bit tiring. He said I should do intervals and really work on speed, then when I do the triathlon, I can swim at whatever pace I want, but I should be faster. The intervals make sense because I am swimming 1 mile with a heart rate of 100, which is really no cardio workout. If I do sprints I can get the cardio and improve my swimming as well. He also helped me with my flip turns.

I want to run tomorrow, but i think the running legs need another day off. I will probably ride or lift in the morning before work. Sunday I am going to try to ride to and from work. 10 miles each way with some big hills -- more on the way home than to work.

***

Sleep: 7 hours (poor)
Weight: 222.4


Breakfast: Cashew Button on Rye toast, kashi, banana, Diet Coke
Snack: Nuts, Diet Coke
Lunch: Broiled chicken, two potato wedges, biscut, diet coke
Snack: 4 piece McNuggets, small fries, diet coke, fruit and walnut salad
Dinner: samples at Stew Leonards,
Snack: Fried Green Plantain, blueberries