Sunday, June 24, 2007

Ride to Work/Ride Home

So I made it into work this morning on my bike. I set the alarm for 4:30. I had already laid my clothes out. the problem was it was too dark to ride. I didn't leave until 4:48 and it was still on the dark side. I wore just a tee-shirt and my yellow bike shirt, along with bike shorts, sneakers and gloves. It was chilly.

The good thing was not a single car passed me all the way in, and the only animals I encountered was a rabbit and a crowing rooster.

It was a 10.2 mile ride that took me 50 minutes.

I still have mixed feeling about biking. On one hand I am still scarred to ride, on the other I like the exercise. It is certainly interesting to actually feel the topography of a route I drive all the time, I did wish I had a faster bike.

I had some flashbikes to my race ride like what am I doing struggling up this hill.

I arrived at work at 5:38 and then ran about 1/4 mile just to see how the legs felt. There is a triathlon division for people who weigh over 200 pounds called the Clydesdale division and my legs felt and sounded almost like a Clydesdales hitting the pavement.

I'm tired now and hope to nap for awhile.

I will have to make the ride home tonight and I am worried about one hill in particular. Plus I'll have to contend with cars.

***

Made the ride home in a surprising 48 minutes and a longer distance 10.4 miles. It seemed like it was a harder ride, more uphill. I avoided the really tough uphill and went a slightly longer way. A lot more traffic, but no close calls. It was a beautiful day to ride. One road biker passed me and zoomed out of sight while I plodded along.

Still it felt good to ride.

***

Sleep: 4.5 Hours (Poor)
Weight: 222.4

Breakfast: Banana
Breakfast: Procuito and Cheese, Leftover Tostones, DC
Snack: English Muffin and sausage
Lunch: Steak Burrito, Chicken and Chilli, grapes, Diet Coke
Snack: Half a glazed doughnut, green tea
Snack: banana
Dinner: Fruit Salad, brocolli, pastrami, cannoli, corn bread, 2 7 oz light beer