Monday, June 18, 2007

Bike

Road 10 easy miles at work.

I continue to seek opinions on the best approach for me on the bike. I stopped at the bike shop where I bought my hybrid and the bike mechanic there told me that slick tires and clipless pedals would definitely help, but he suggested I find a used road bike somewhere rather than pay to upgrade a bike that isn't meant to be a road bike.

The problem with getting a used bike is there aren't many, if any available in my size. I called a number of shops today and they either didn't have any, didn't sell used or the one used one they had was a $2000 bike.

I have also posed the question to Yahoo Answers and will post on those answers tomorrow.

The question is really all about ego. Can I sustain letting all those people whizz by me again? But if this whole triathlon experience is really about me against me, why do I have to shell out money to buy another bike at this early point just to pick up five to ten minutes.

Tomorrow I am going to call the guy who works at a bike shop who will be teaching the triathlon class I'll be taking starting a week from this Thursday, and ask him a few questions.

A big part of me says I should just get on my bike and learn to ride and get in top shape, and the next time I do the race I will have a legitimate benchmark to compare myself with. Ride every day. Ride to work. Pound out the miles for awhile. I've only gone 178 miles on this bike. I should put in at least a 1000.

***

Sleep: 6 Hours
Weight: 223

Breakfast: Kashi, diet Coke, banana
Snack: Chicken dumplings, Diet Coke, bagel
Lunch: leftover London broil, corn,okra
Snack: Grapes and mixed Nuts
Dinner: Two hot dogs, corn and artichoke hearts, tortilla chips, 7 ounce beer