Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Runner's Knee

I continue to have pain in my left knee walking down stairs. Here is what I think is causing it.

Runner's Knee

My course of action seems clear right now. I need to rest it, avoid running, even biking for at least a week. I must also avoid my favorite lift -- the squat.

I will spend the next week walking, swimming, and doing non-leg bending lifts, as well as lots of calf and hamstring stretches. Whenever I go down stairs, I will go baby steps. I will do everything I can to avoid bending my knee. I will ice, take ibuprofen, and pray.

One minute I feel I am cruising, the next I wonder if I can even do this. I know that I can -- even if it is only one triathlon. I have to look back at how badly my knees hurt before and how rest helped.

I am hoping that this was caused by overtraining and not by some unchangable structural problem or damage.

Then again, maybe it is something else.

We'll have to see how it goes.