Monday, May 14, 2007

A Pefect Mile/An 8:10 Mile

Next Race: 5K - Saturday June 2 in Hartford at 8:30 A.M.

Ct Komen Race for Cure

Tonight, in honor of Roger Bannister, after I had run a 2:15 1/4 mile and because I had the girls with me and they were bored and it was cold, I decided to just run a fast mile rather than do an easy three. So I finished the mile in 8:10 really without too much effort, not that i could have run three miles at that pace. I sprinted around the final curve and then crossed the line Chariots of Fire style

***

Just finished reading a really good book, The Perfect Mile about the race for the first sub four-minute mile. Roger Bannister, John Landry and Wes Santee all took aim at the target, with Bannister getting there first. Later Bannister and Landry, who broke Bannister's record, met in a race between sub-four minute milers. Interesting reading about the trios different training methods.

Here's a video clip of Bannister's record-breaking run.