Tuesday, May 01, 2007

April Report Card/ May Goals

April Report

April was a good month. I was healthy all month and worked out steadily.

Highlights:

1. Ran my first 5K
2. Bought a bike and started riding
3. Increased running to 4.25
4. Swam 1 mile in 37 minutes

No Lowlights

Here's How I did on my report card:

Goals for April

Running - Run and complete first 5K in under 35:00 (Race is April 7). Under 30:00 would be great provided I don't hurt myself. Be able to run 4 miles comfortably once a week. Be able to run 3-4 times a week injury-free. Observe noticable drop in HR during regular runs.


Grade A- Ran 5K in 31:15, now able to run at least 4 miles once a week, running 3 times a week, HR coming down, running injury-free.

Biking - Get bike by April 14, ride it three times a week. Be able to ride bike for one hour easily.

Grade B + Bought bike, able to ride 10 miles, gaining confidence, can't say I ride it easily for an hour.

Swimming - Continue to swim 2-3 times a week. Swim 1/4 mile with all flip turns. Continue to work on technique. Swim 1 mile at least twice. Shoot for 38 minute mile, 17.5 minute half mile time, 7.45 1/4 mile time.

Grade B- - Swam a mile in 37 minutes, swam well, but not enough.

Strength Training -- Start keeping weight log. Increase weights gradually, lift to resistance.

Grade C - Need to lift more and harder. Need to maintain log

Diet -- New category -- Eat well and report regularly on diet (As soon as I finish current bag of potato chips).

Grade B- I eat all right, but need to keep a food log as well.

Assessment

Running- Making steady progress. I feel like I am on the verge of a break through. I feel comfortable that I will be able to complete the 5K in a decent time at the end of the sprint triathlon, although I may have to employ a brief run walk stategy(depending on what the bike does to my legs).

Biking - Bought a bike and am gaining comfort, but still have a long way to go. I will get dusted in this phase of the competition.

Swimming -- I am swimming fine.

Lifting -- I need a more rigid program.

Diet -- I need to work on this.

May Goals

Running -- Run 6 miles at one time, run a 5K in under 30 minutes, add some hills. Run 3-4 times a week with one long run, stay injury-free.

Biking- Ride 3 times a week, with one long ride a week, do a twenty mile ride, ride to work at least one time, improve bike handling, gear-shifting skills.

Swimming - Swim 1.5 miles a week, do a 1.25 mile swim, work on technique

Lifting - Develop program, Maintain Log, lift strong 2X a week.

Diet - Keep log, eat healthy

Possible May Race Schedule

May 12 - Race in the Park 5K

May 28 - Bloomfield Memorial Day 5K