Friday, May 04, 2007

5K in 30:10/7 Mile Bike

Went to the high school track hoping to do a long run, but shortly after I got there several groups of students came out and were being timed in the mile (for gym class?). I walked almost two miles waiting for them to finish, but then just as they appeared to be done another group came out, so I left.

I drove to the reservoir and ran the certified 5K course there. Asphalt surface. Beautiful scenery. It was very hilly, but my time was 30:10, which was faster than I ran in the 5K road race and my ending HR was 157 -- also better (I never looked at my watch until the end of the run).

30:10 in a slow training run with a 157 ending HR versus 31:15 in a race with a HR of 172. I'd say that's progress.

***

Went home, took a shower, had something to eat, did a little work, and then drove back to the reservoir with my bike. I did two laps around for about 7 miles. I didn't time myself. I didn't go particularly fast and coasted down most of the downhills. I'm still trying to figure out my bike's gears. Sometimes it won't go up into 3rd. The trail is asphalt, but a little bumpy in places and narrow too at times because it is only a lane on a path mainly used by walkers and runners. I think on a day when it is less crowded, I'll be able to ride in the middle and try out some speed. I was pretty tired by the end. I need to make some adjustments on my bike as my seat is about five inches higher than my handle bars.