Tuesday, May 01, 2007

5 Mile Bike

Today is my 16 hour work day and, due to an early call, I did not get my sometime two hour on the clock nap from 6A-8A. I've been dragging today and feel all over tired. I'm off tomorrow and I am planning a big workout day -- a long run and a bike ride around the reservoir that has some nice inclines.

Still I wanted to do something so this afternoon I got my bike out and got in a seven lap - five mile ride. I went pretty easy although I did get up to 20 mph on this one straightaway with a slight descent. I couldn't get up to 21. The problem is at the end of the run is a nice bump in the road so I like to slow before I get there. I dealt with some more traffic today and once had to hit my brakes because I wasn't sure a car about to pull out saw me.

The big thing I did was raise my seat up -- it feels much better -- I am getting a better extension. I'm sort of annoyed my bike shop didn't really fit me at all.

I feel great for getting the ride in -- just enough to feel like I did something today without impairing my day tomorrow.

***

I've been reading another triathlon book, First Triathlons. It, like Becoming an Ironman, is a collection of short personal accounts about people's experiences with a triathlon. This book is not nearly as good as the other -- not close. It is also getting a little tiresome -- most of the stories sound the same. People didn't know what they were doing, the water was cold, they got swum over, but then they collected themselves, they had old bikes, but they did okay, they were tired, but managed to complete the run, it was a great experience and now they are hooked. Which is not to say I haven't enjoyed reading it because right now all things triathlon are interesting and it makes great reading going to calls or driving back from the hospital, as it would make great bathroom reading. There are some good instructional hints in the back of the book that I will mention in another post.