Thursday, May 17, 2007

10 Mile Bike

Rode my bike for ten miles at work. Ten hard miles. I averaged between 14 and 10 miles an hour, which is Sunday riding with the family, baskets on the front of the bikes speed. Bike riding is hard. I have to really rethink my doing my first triathlon on June 14. I am going to get passed by everyone on the bike. I think I need to ride everyday. Not worry about speed yet, just get the hours and miles in the saddle.

This is the first I have ridden since I got the bike out of the shop. The new seat is much better up front, but a little awkward on the butt. It doesn't balance quite as well. The handlebars are better. All the gears seem to shift okay now. The little side mirror was put back on and was great because if there was no one behind me I could ride out in the middle of the circle.

On my last lap I got it up to 20 MPH. Afterward I could feel some burn in my quads.

***

I have my gym gear with me today. I hope to stop at the gym on the way home and lift.

***

I just finished reading Ultra Marathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner, a book about this crazy guy who recently ran 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states. If the state he was in wasn't having a marathon that day, he would run the route of whatever marathon they held at another time of year. In this book he runs in something called the Western States 100 where you have to run 100 miles in the wilderness up and down mountains in 24 hours, he runs a 199 mile relay race by himself, he runs across Death Valley and runs a marathon at the South Pole. He is an obsessive compulsive sadist, but the book is gripping and inspiring. If I hadn't read it, I probably would have stopped bike riding today after five miles. Instead I made it ten. Whoo-hoo!