Thursday, April 19, 2007

Swim

I swam a half mile tonight after work. Didn't even look at the time. Ending HR - 104.

***

At work today I had two heavy carries. One I was carrying a guy backwards out of a house. I went out onto the front step and then stepped back to go down the next step, only there was noghing to catch my right leg. It turns out the front steps were not the same width as the top landing. My right leg went down the eqivilent of three steps and landed on the ground. My left knee went into a dumbell stepup position. I managed to keep my balance and not drop the patient. My left knee felt a little sore later, but nothing i couldn't walk off.

Later we got called to a riverfront plaza. We had to carry our stretcher and all the gear up about a hundred steep steps, across a plaza and then down maybe fifty steps -- all while being filmed by the news station. I didn't even get short of breath. I felt like an Ironman. And then we had to do it backwards with a patient, albeit a light one on the stretcher, but this time I had three firefighters helping me -- we each took a corner.

It made me feel better about skipping my strength training workout this morning.

***

I am in a little bit of a quandry about what to do tomorrow. I am off and it will be a beautiful day as will Saturday. There is a 5k on Saturday. I wouldn't mind running another race, but I also would like to do a good bike/run workout tomorrow. I think I will probably skip the race and do one on May 12. I am less interested in time right now than I am in keeping my heart rate low while adding distance, as well as getting cracking on learning how to ride the bike.