Friday, April 13, 2007

Bike/Try to Run

Okay. Last night was great at work, I slept through the night other than lightly waking periodically to listen to radio sounds or check the clock. So an okay night's sleep, a great sleep considering I was making double time and a half to press my cheek against the pillow.

Still I went home and slept a couple more hours and still felt a little out of sorts due to my up all night the night before.

I decided my workout would be a bike/run so I gave myself plenty of time and drove to work with my bike on the rack. It was all of a sudden very windy and cold, so I put on a windbreaker over my hoodie and underarmour, and a wool hat under my bike helmet and today I had gloves.

I went around the circle seven times for a total of five miles. I even reached 16 miles an hour on one stretch. Gained some experience on working the gears. At one point my foot came off the pedal and I managed to stay on the bike although it was touch and go. It was as I said cold and windy. And I was getting tired. My butt hurt and my hands hurt from gripping the handle bars. My last lap I was going 9 miles an hour. I pulled into the garage, hopped off the bike, took off my helmet and started running with the goal of doing two laps/1.5 miles. I went about 100 feet and then said what is wrong with my legs. I ended up having to walk run the first lap and then very slowly run the last. My heart rate after biking was 132. My heart rate after the run was 160.

On one hand, I have biked five miles and only have to go seven more to meet the traditional 12 mile distance of the sprint triathlon. But on the other after five I was exhausted and I could hardly run. A real bike is way different from a stationary bike. And I haven't even tackled hills yet.

My plan will be to try to always run at least a mile after each bike ride and to gradually increase the milage. I'd like to have a twenty mile bike done before the first triathlon which is June 14. Maybe I should push the triathlon debut back to July.