Friday, April 20, 2007

Bike/Run

I ditzed around forever this morning, doing everything I could to delay my bike ride. I truly have a deep seated fear of riding. I finally strapped the bike to the rack and drove down to the high school. I rode around in the parking lot a little just to remember how to use the gears and brakes, and then I took off on a 6 mile ride doing loops through residential neighborhoods with a fair number of small hills. I even got up to 18 miles an hour at one point. It took me awhile to figure out how to pedal going downhill. I learned to lift a little when I was coming to a bump and almost stood up on the pedals, but felt too shaky to press it. I got passed by a couple cars and handled that okay. They gave me wide bearth. I do have a problem turning left as I am not yet confident enough to take my left hand off the bike to signal. Still all in all a successful ride. The only dog that barked at me was in a cage. Ending heart rate was 116. No big deal as I hardly pedaled hard the entire time. Lots of coasting, which I expect is how I will ride in a triathlon at least at first.

I then preceeded to run a mile at the track. It wasn't as hard as the last time after riding. My ending heart rate was 153.