Friday, April 06, 2007

Before the Race

Today is another rest day as I prepare for the 5K tomorrow. I am sort of resenting not working out, but I do want tomorrow to go as well as possible.

I drove out to the course and checked it out. Driving in a car 3.1 miles doesn't seem like much. I'm sure I will feel otherwise tomorrow. I've run longer on a track and on a tread mill, but never on a road. It is a fairly flat course that runs along the edge of the airport. I'll be able to see planes landing and taxing as I run. The turnaround and mile marks are pretty well marked.

I am not going to predict any time or set any goal other than finishing. If I set it goal it will be during the race let like no way am I going to let this six year old beat me.

I will wear my heart rate monitor just to make certain I am not about to explode at any point in time.

I went to Borders tonight to read through some running books and came across this tip about never wearing a walkman during a race. I guess it is a faux pa or however you spell it. And I had downloaded the theme music from Chariots of Fire that I was going to have set to play at the 30 minute mark, which would have been proceeded by Rocky's Gonna Fly Now. I guess I need to keep my ears open for when the seventy-year old man shouts, "Hey young fella, make way, make way now, you hear?"

I did rent Rocky Balboa to watch tonight.

I'm going to eat a big dinner of brown rice, shrimp and okra with strawberries and yogurt for dessert. I'll try to get to bed early.

The race is at 8:30, so I should be there by 8:00. It's supposed to be cold with a ten mile wind. I don't know if I will race in my grey sweats or not. Probably.