Saturday, April 14, 2007

4 Miles/44 Minutes/HR 158

Drove to the track. Determined to run 4 miles at a slow pace. I want to have one long slow run a week where I gradually add mileage.

I started my mp3 player with the first song "Let's Get it Started." I have Rocky and Chariots of Fire at the end, and I'm guessing about an hour's worth of songs, maybe a little more. Today, Eminem sang me across the finish line with "Lose Yourself." I'm going to keep the music in the same order until I run through Chariots of Fire.

I didn't keep rigid times on each mile, but checked my heart rate after each mile.

1 mile - 144
2 mile - 152
3 mile - 154
4 mile - 158

and my time was 44 minutes on the nose. The last mile I ran pretty slow so I think I did 3 miles in a slightly faster pace.

***

In this month's edition of Runner's World, there is article about John Kelley who won the Boston marathon in 1957 as a young man. Here's his training schedule:

He ran 16 miles in the morning five days a week.

On Saturday, he'd run 40 X 440 yards in 75 seconds with a 440 recovery jog.

On Sunday, he'd run a steady 20 miles.

***

I'd like to do one long slow run, and then maybe throw in a workout where I either do hills or some type of speed variation.

I also scoped out the neighborhood around the high school where I plan to ride before doing a run. It looks safe with some hills. Should be great practice for me.

The only problem now is a big storm is coming in and we'll see several days of rain next week.