Saturday, March 17, 2007

Two Miles in 20:00

If I didn't have this blog, today I may well have stayed snowbound, sitting on the couch, eating roast pork and potatoes, saying oh what the hell, I'll just work out another day.

I was surfing the internet today and realized that the road race where I plan to make my 5K debut is just three weeks away - April 7.

The Bradley Road Race

Worse, when checking the results, I discovered out of 116 racers last year, I would have finished 108th, gauging by my 3 mile pace time this week. Some of the 8 people who I would have beaten were a 6 year old, a 9 year old and a 70 year old.

I went to the gymn today and ran two miles at a 10:00 min/mile pace. My ending heart rate was 164. I was 158 at the end of a mile.

At my age 164 is 93% of my maximum, which is out of the 70% training zone. Maybe I just have a younger heart so my maximum heart rate is higher than I am getting credited for.

According to this maximum heart rate calculator, 176 is my maximum. If I was 40, 183 would be my maximum. If I was 35, it would be 187, which would still put me at 87% of my maximum.

This is the heart rate monitor I bought on sale for $49.99 at the Sports Authority

Reebock Heart Rate Monitor. It works pretty well.

I also learned today I have been wearing my Dr. Scholl's Gel Insoles upside down, so I finally got them right and I admit they felt better.

***

I may swim later. Tomorrow I work 12 hours, so will try to swim at the end of the day. I probably won't run again until Monday evening. I'll try to do at least two easy miles with a goal of running 3.5 miles on Thursday.

When the snow melts, I'll think again about buying a bike or I may just wait till after my road race.