Sunday, March 25, 2007

Six-Month Assessment/April Goals

Wow. Hard to believe I have been at this six months. So much for the books like 12 weeks to a Triathlete, although to be fair, I wasn't following that program or any program to have me ready in even 6 months. My goal was and is to be ready by the end of June and I believe I am on course.

***

Highs of 1st 6 Months

3.5 mile run. Went from 0 to 1/4 to 3.5 miles. I am impressed

Commitment. I have kept at it. Still excited. Still at it.

Lows

Early Knee Problems due to overtraining. Running too fast, too fast, too much, too soon.

Frequent Sickness possibly due to training overexertion added on top of a mild winter with lots of bugs going around, and many babysitting chores, in addition to my regular exposure to sick patients in my job.

***

Assessment

Running - I have to be pleased with this. I went from not running to being able to go the distance and beyond. I battled and seem to have overcome injury, although I am constantly aware it can pop up at any time, which is a good thing to be aware of. I would like to be faster -- but while I can go faster, I may not be able to go faster and stay injury free. I need to gradually transition to some asphalt surface road running. But fo all my efforts I will probably still be at the bottom of the field in any race.

Biking -- Kudos for at least getting on a real bike and going around the block (No small achievement for me), but I can't really rate myself until I have a real bike that fits me and I am out riding it regularly. I did do a couple hour rides on the stationary bike. I expect to be one of the slower riders.

Swimming -- I swam a mile without stopping, and easily swim a half mile. My technique has improved and I believe I have gained some speed. Still I need some open water swim practice. I bet I am about middle of the pack for triathlon swimmers.

***

Goals for April

Running - Run and complete first 5K in under 35:00 (Race is April 7). Under 30:00 would be great provided I don't hurt myself. Be able to run 4 miles comfortably once a week. Be able to run 3-4 times a week injury-free. Observe noticable drop in HR during regular runs.

Biking - Get bike by April 14, ride it three times a week. Be able to ride bike for one hour easily.

Swimming - Continue to swim 2-3 times a week. Swim 1/4 mile with all flip turns. Continue to work on technique. Swim 1 mile at least twice. Shoot for 38 minute mile, 17.5 minute half mile time, 7.45 1/4 mile time.

Strength Training -- Start keeping weight log. Increase weights gradually, lift to resistance.

Diet -- New category -- Eat well and report regularly on diet (As soon as I finish current bag of potato chips).

***

Time to Kick it into gear!