Monday, March 05, 2007

My Brother

My brother is also training for his first triathlon, and is recording his progress on the blog, TriMe.

I enjoy checking in on his progress, and I suspect he checks in on mine. The benefit of the blogs is 1) I want to have something to boast about every day -- I worked out! 2) I don't want him to see that I am slacking, and 3) I need to keep tabs on him so he does not completely outdistance me.

We plan to enter at least one triathlon together next summer. I doubt that we will run it side by side because my strongest event (swimming) is his weakest, and his strongest (running and cycling) are my weakest. I suspect that overall, he will finish somewhat ahead of me (possibly by miles). He will be in an arm chair, showered and changed and sipping a lemonade and maybe even celebrating another birthday by the time I cross the line.

Here's the tale of the tape.

Age

Me - 48
Brother - 41

Weight

Me - 225
Brother - 180*(guess)

Height

Me- 6'7" (Used to be 6'9" - Too many heavy squats in gym)
Brother - 6'2" (guess)

Running Experience (Most miles run)

Me - 3.1 on treadmill (1 time)
Brother - Marathon

Cycling

Me - Went over handle bars at age 7, knocked unconcious, went 40 years without riding bike again, do not currently own bike, ride like Bear in circus

Brother - Has clipless pedals, rides like Lance Armstrong, but has rubber horn on bike

Swimming

Me - Can swim 1 mile easy, long and lean, Spitz-like(in my dreams)

Brother - Claims he can swim 1/2 mile, Does Dog Paddle

Drawbacks

Me- Tendency to overtrain, knocking down immune syndrome, ending up with cough and runny nose and water bottle on chest.

Brother - None Known

Intangiles

Me - Older Brother, Handsome, Wily as Fox

Brother - 7 and a half years younger