Sunday, March 18, 2007

Mark "Arnold Palmer" Spitz

When my brother over at TriMe posts about his swimming workouts, I feel like a triathlon stud. When he posts about his running, I feel woefully inadequate.

He swam yesterday practicing this game called Swimming Golf where you add the number of your strokes to your 50 yard time. His score was 100 (38 strokes plus 62 seconds).

I torched him with a 79 (34 strokes plus 45 seconds). I may have even had a lower score on one of the times I didn't count my time. I swam 200 yards as a warm up, and then did a lot of 50 yard sprints working on different things -- keeping head in water, turning body, slashing with arms through the water, minimizing strokes. I did one length in 13 strokes. I did flip turns a couple times. I felt really fast. When I swim a half mile my pace is about 60 seconds for 50 yards. It felt good to go fast. I'm not certain of my exact times because I have to see the clock, then put my goggles on, turn and start swimming and then after I hit the wall, I have to take my googles off and squint at the clock. I was pretty much always in the 43-45 range, and I wasn't like killing myself. I was just swimming fast.

Felt good.

I am going to alternate my swimming workouts like my running with long/slow and with higher intestity.

Tommorrow is a run day on the treadmill at the gym, most likely after work.