Thursday, March 29, 2007

3.75 Mile Run/Swim

It's nine in the morning. I'm drinking green tea, and waiting for the weather to warm up before I head out for my long run at the high school track. I had one diet Coke this morning. I am trying to cut back on the Diet Coke because it makes me belch too much.

I am a little aprehensive about the run. I am going to try to go very slow and keep my heart rate under 150, but I'll just have to play it as it goes. I will also try to make sure I properly ice when I get home. Depending on the heart rate and how I feel I am going to try to do at least 3.5 miles.

I was reading in the Lore of Running (which is a collection of various advice) that it is best to not announce your workout goal, particuarly for a beginning runner, or to stick too closely with your schedule. You should run based on how you feel when you get to the track. The point is too leave satisfied, not dejected.

Goals are good. By announcing I am going to become a triathlete, well, I have little choice now that the words are public. But on the other hand, to be too goal oriented in the short-term can lead to injury and disappointment. I need to keep the long term view.

I'll be back later to report on how I did.

***

Okay, I'm back. I ran 3.75 miles in a little more than 44 minutes. I did 3 miles in 34:38 with a heart rate of 154 that was pretty steady from a mile and a half all the way through. Although it was sunny out, it was fiercesomly windy, particarly on the back stretch where it was directly in my face. Whether the cold and the wind, helped or hurt my HR, I don't know. It did limit my speed, but as I said, I wasn't going for speed. Every time my HR went up to 156-157, I slowed.

My legs feel okay, I just took an ibuprofen and have frozen bags of okra on my knees now.

I could have gone farther, but I told myself I have the race and must be healthy for that. I plan to do a mile to two mile asphalt run after work either Saturday, Sunday or Monday night depending on how I feel.

***

Swam 1/4 mile at night after playing with one of the girls in the regular pool.