Saturday, February 10, 2007

Appraisal

Ate some bad popcorn butter or something last night at the movies and felt crappy, threw up last night so I didn't workout before work this morning, and I am working now till ten, so today is a day of rest.

Here is my appraisal of what I am doing and what I need to do.

Swimming -- Can swim a mile and probably more in a pool. No biggie. My tecnhique is okay, but could use improvement. I need open water practice, which I am unlikely to get. I should be swimming at least twice a week, preferably three with at least one workout of a mile or longer and one workout of technique drills.

Biking -- I can do an hour on the stationary bike fine. I need to get a real bike and start riding. The weather is a bit of a holdup to that, but I ought to find at least one nice day. Maybe later this week I will make the purchase. I'm still undecided between a mountain bike and a hybrid. Until I get on a real bike I cannot judge where I stand. As far as stationary bike workouts, I need to do atleast two a week of an hour and then a third of whatever length.

Running -- Farthest I have run lately is two miles, but my running has been erratic. Good news is that I seem to be over the knee pain. I have been a little careful on the running because of that. I need to run at least three times a week with at least one run a week advancing my milegage count. If the weather is bad I need to run on the tread mill.

Strength Training -- My workouts haven't been robust. I need more variety and need to work toward failure. Minimum two workouts a week.

Brick workouts - The ones of these I have done have been good, but I am very tired the next day. There has been a lot of sickness going around this winter and I am trying not to overdo.

So here's the bottom line for what a typical week might look like:

Sunday Evening (after work)- Swim and light bike or run.

Monday (after work) - Hour bike and light tread mill run

Tuesday (16 hour workday) - Day of rest

Wednesday -- Long Run (Strength Train)

Thursday - Swim and Hour bike

Friday -- Run

Saturday -- Strength Train Bike