Thursday, December 07, 2006

Outdoor Track

Went out and bought a pulse watch and a stopwatch, and then drove to the high school track.

There I am with my new sneakers, New Balance 857's, new sweatpants, a new hoodie and my new watches. No one was at the track. I walked around it one time to warm up and then ran a mile and a half. My first quarter was 2:16. The mile was was 9:27. i must have hit the button because when I checked it at the end it was stopped shortly after the mile time. I think I slowed some so I credited myself with a 14:27 mile and a half. Then I walked around the track one more time, stretched and left. My heart rate after a mile and a half was 150.

My knees feel okay. I will try to run at the track some more. Next time I go for a mile and three quarters. I don't want to push it like I did the last time.

***

Later in the evening. I'm icing my knees down. Reading the Runner's Handbook, it is evident I ran too fast. My heart rate shouldn't have gotten over 132. I was up to 150. I also think I failed to properly warm up and cool down. I need to be careful, but at the same time I don't want to run like an old man.